A week-old business company, a multimillionaire corporation, your local gym, a TV commercial of crackers, your beloved picture book – they all have at least 1 thing in common. Competitors.
Competition is everywhere, in every tiny aspect of your life. Even your own thoughts compete, even the two half of your brain. It’s part of who we are, it’s what pushes us forward. So you’d better simply admit this fact.
Whether you like it or not, competition runs the world.
So what does it have to do with children picture book writing?
The children picture book market is saturated with creations of various quality and skill. Luckily for us, picture book authors, most readers do recognize skill, expertise, love for illustration. That’s why most often great picture book species do get a lot of attention and sales. (Please pay attention to the word “most”, being a bestseller might not guarantee excellence). So if you do not want to get trampled into the mud by your competitors- do take the time to learn them and from them!
Some of the current bestselling titles in the “children picture book” genre
What can analyzing your competitors give you?
It would help you:
- better understandpicture book layout, structure, key elements, etc.;
- know what makes a good story that sells;
- understand the best marketing strategies;
- avoid most common indie publisher’s mistakes;
- give you confidence if your piece is really on the same level with the bestsellers in your genre;
- or see your creation in the full light with all its faults and drawbacks, so that you can work on them and improve your product;
- bring your style and skills to the next level (works for both illustrators and writers);
- find valuable connections and start (or continue) buildingyour network;
- understand your audience and what it wants;
- simply enjoy a great read with superb illustrations.
So why don’t go to Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo, Barnes and Noble’s, Sony, Apple or any other book retailer and check out the bestsellers’ list? It’s easy, it’s fun and most importantly, it’s will give your picture book one extra chance to become a bestseller.
In the next post I’ll some tips on what you should pay special attention to when looking at the bestselling titles.
In the meanwhile, check out my previous posts that might inspire you into creating your first or next masterpiece!
Thank you for reading and stay tuned for more insights into the indie publishing world!